Wellness

Take care of YOU this Autumn

I’ve noticed this week as I’ve been getting into my car at 7am to drive to work that it’s dark. Thankfully, when I leave work at 5.30pm it’s still daylight, but that won’t be the case for many more weeks. The clocks will go back and we’ll find ourselves going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Often, I find the lack of sunlight in the Autumn and Winter months pretty depressing. There’s always something nice about the summer months; you get home from work and still have hours of sunshine left to enjoy.

I don’t know about you, but I always find myself focusing more on myself during the Autumn and Winter months. There’s something about dark nights that always screams hot baths, warming meals and candles. I’ve decided this Autumn I’m going to focus on myself and my wellbeing.

Here are some ideas on how you can take care of yourself this Autumn

• Make your house cosy – I’m talking fairy lights, candles, blankets etc. A cosy home makes getting home from work after a long day seem so inviting.
  • Eat well – There’s nothing I love more in the colder months than coming home from work to a yummy casserole that’s been in the slow cooker all day. Some of my favourite winter meals include: chilli, casseroles, cottage pie and roast dinners.
  • Find a hobby you enjoy – During the summer months we tend to be out a lot more but the colder weather can see us stuck inside more. Having a hobby will give you something to focus on. I personally enjoy making cards, writing my blog and lately I’ve been really enjoying reading.
  • Make plans – It’s easy to come home from work and put your PJ’s on and spend the evening infront of the TV. Although there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s still good to get out. Book a meal at one of your favourite restaurants, go bowling with some friends or go to the cinema to see that movie you’ve been wanting to watch.

How do you plan to take care of yourself this Autumn?

Photo by Ksenia Makagonova on Unsplash

You may also like

• Helen

I’m totally with you. I can get quite depressed in the winter when it is so dark. It makes me want to just hibernate in bed 🙂 I do love the candles and the blanket though it feels really safe and cosy. Good idea about making plans and keeping yourself busy to combat the blues. I’ve started going to book club so I have to read and then it gets me out of the house for the meeting. Helen xo

October 6, 2019 at 1:34 PM Reply

I book club is such a good idea, it means you can be nice and relaxed reading and then you get to go out and be sociable for the meeting! xx

October 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM Reply
  • Sophie Wentworth

Such great tips, coming home to cosy blankets and a good meal really does make the world of difference. I love autumnal food so much, it’s so warming x

Sophie

October 6, 2019 at 3:26 PM Reply

I agree autumnal food is definitely the best! xx

October 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Reply
  • Nicola

I’m the same, the lack of sunlight in autumn and winter makes me feel terrible. It’s even more important to eat well and stay active during these months. I love your suggestions – a cosy home really helps make me feel better!

October 6, 2019 at 4:16 PM Reply

Yeah, I think the lack of sunlight has this effect on most people! Keeping active is definitely important as well!

October 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Reply
  • Sarah

The shorter days definitely affect me too. Like, I want to do things but then it’s dark and my motivation drops – plus I end up wanting to go to bed by 6 pm because darkness equals bedtime. I love crockpot meals in the fall and winter. I’m going to embrace the blankets and spend a lot of time reading, it’s a great way to kill time in the fall and winter.

October 6, 2019 at 11:52 PM Reply

I couldn’t agree more about darkness meaning bedtime! I find myself ready for bed so early in the winter months. xx

October 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM Reply
  • Rachel

I completely get this! It feels like such a shock longer from those long summer days to suddenly be thrown into darkness! I’m all about making it a cosy sanctuary to retreat to at home but I also think sometimes you just need to embrace it and get out anyway! I’ll force myself out the door at night to get a run in and always feel good having made the effort!

Rachel | Teacups & Tartan

October 7, 2019 at 2:33 PM Reply

I wish I was better at forcing myself out in the winter to exercise but I’m terrible at it! xx

October 10, 2019 at 2:15 PM Reply
  • Lauren

These are great tips! I love making everything cosy and warm. Having stews, soups and casseroles. Good home some food! Thank you for sharing

October 8, 2019 at 5:25 PM Reply

I agree nothing beats a warming winter meal! xx

October 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM Reply
  • Bexa

I’m the same, I do find the colder and darker months a bit depressing. These are great ideas, especially making plans and going out. It’s lovely to have cosy evenings but I agree, sometimes we just need to get out and do something fun. I love bowling and cinema trips this time of year, my favourite. Thanks for sharing Charlotte, fab post! <3 xx

October 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM Reply