Wellness

Stress free holiday packing

I get stressed out easily, but my way of dealing with that is by being an organised freak. I love to be organised and if I’m not then I get stressed and anxious. Going away on holiday should be something fun, but there’s always that stress in the build-up to going away. What if I’ve forgotten something important? What if I lose my passport? What if I miss my flight? … You get the idea.

Packing is one of the things I hate doing before going away. I don’t even know why I get so worried about forgetting things; there will obviously be shops where I’m going! Over the years I’ve developed a very simple and easy way to make packing stress free and I’m going to share that with you today.

Create an ultimate packing list and save it to your computer

Yeah, it’s as simple as that! I know most people jot down a list of things they need to take in the build-up to going away, but that list usually ends up in the bin once you’ve finished packing. I created a holiday packing list when I was about 17 years old (I’m now 27). I’ve kept that same list saved on my laptop for 10 years and I’ve added bits to it over the years. This list covers all types of holiday from sun holidays to winter city breaks, Disney World and weekends away. When I’m packing I just go through my list and anything I don’t need I just cross off. For example, if I’m going on a sun holiday; I won’t be needing a winter coat.

Make it detailed

Don’t just write down ‘underwear’ – be specific: Pants, socks, bras, tights. This stops you from forgetting certain things. I remember going to Majorca one year as a child and my mum forgot to pack her shorts! So my list is broken down into shorts, skirts, jeans, dresses etc.

I’m not going to share my list as it’s personal to me. This list has built up over years but it’s something I definitely recommend doing. It’s made my packing life so much easier.

My list is broken down into categories so here’s an example:

Documents –

Passport, travel insurance, booking confirmation, money, credit card, boarding passes etc

Clothes –

Well, this one is fairly self-explanatory. I also include shoes in this section.

Accessories –

Bags, sunglasses, sunhat, glasses, watch etc

Medical –

Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, any medication you take, plasters, travel tablets etc

Toiletries –

Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturisers, body cream, hair bands, hairbrush, deodorant, make up etc

Electronics –

Plug adaptors, mobile phone, iPod, chargers, hair straighteners etc

Miscellaneous –

Books, travel games, note pad, magazines etc

Having my list has literally made packing for holidays much less stressful. I always print out my list and work my way through, crossing things off as I’ve packed them. I can honestly say I haven’t forgotten to take something on holiday with me for years as this list has me totally covered. The list gets updated occasionally. For example a few years ago I started wearing glasses so I had to add them to my list.

So if you’re like me and find holiday packing stressful, then I 100% recommend creating yourself an ultimate holiday packing list!

Thanks for reading,

You may also like

• Nicola

Loved this post! I feel like I’m a pro when it comes to packing, haha. I’ve even written about it on my own blog. I think the most important tip is to prepare in advance!

September 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Reply
  • Charlotte

I like this idea! I’m going on holiday next week, I never make lists but I think this will definitley come in handy. Thanks for sharing!x

September 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM Reply
  • Lozza

These are such good packing tips! Thanks! 😊

I’ll save this for next time I go away as I always end up forgetting something!

Love Lozza xo

September 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM Reply
  • Laura at Palette of Thoughts

Yes, I love a packing list for making sure I don’t forget anything!!!

September 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM Reply
  • Sophie Wentworth

These are great tips! I’m usually super organised when I pack. I like to pack at least a week in advance so I have a good amount of time to look over my case and add extra bits just in case. I always pack my beauty bags in advance and live out of that makeup bag for a week or two to see if I need anything else or if there’s stuff I don’t need too x

Sophie

September 15, 2019 at 10:54 PM Reply
  • Sarah

I do pretty well with packing, but I know there is always room for improvement. I like the idea of being specific with your items, that way you should never forget an important item. I should create a packing list again, I used to have one but lost it a while back, it certainly makes the process easier if you can reference that every time.

September 16, 2019 at 1:13 PM Reply
  • Jess

I never make my lists specific enough so thanks for the ideas on how to organise it better!

Jess | http://www.jessrigg.com

September 16, 2019 at 5:47 PM Reply
  • Bexa

This is SUCH a good idea, Charlotte! I always write a list when I’m packing and tick it off as I go, however, it is just a paper one so ends up in the bin afterwards. I love that you keep a copy on your computer and print it off, that is genius! I think I need to do the same. Like you say, it is always the same kinda things we need to pack so the list will stay relevant. Thanks for sharing your tips and hope you have a fab holiday! <3 xx

September 24, 2019 at 1:21 PM Reply
  • Soph

I relate to this so much! I’m a proper list person and although the idea of packing excites me, when I really get into it I get so stressed! This makes me want to book a trip though haha!
    Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

September 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Reply
  • Chloe Chats

I love that you’ve kept this list on your computer for years! I don’t know why I’ve never thought about doing that.. I usually hand write a list, and then like you said, end up chucking it away afterwards. I’m really bad with being prepared when it comes to holiday packing, I’m one of those people that leave it till the day before and end up panicking!

Chloe xx