I wrote a post recently called ‘Building a life I love‘ and was really suprised at how many lovely comments I recieved from everyone. This post is really a follow on from that about what I’ve learnt recently.
I always used to think that success was defined by what career you had. Growing up I worked hard at school and went to college and then worked hard to go to university. I had all of these ideas about how I wanted to have a high flying career with a good salary and good perks. I’ve grown up in a ‘successful environment’. My dad’s a company director and my brother is a teacher in a private school and I’ve always looked up to them and seen them as ‘successful people’.
Over the last few months I’ve done a lot of thinking and reflecting which I’m sure you’ve all seen on my blog. I’ve been really trying to focus on myself and what makes me happy. I wrote a post recently about feeling happy and inspired and I just feel like I’m mentally in such a good place right now.
The biggest turning point for me was when I realised that being successful isn’t just about what career you have. I now look at myself and see myself as successful; I may not have that high flying career but I have a job that pays the bills and I’m happy.
Here are some of the reasons why I think I’m successful:
- I have a full time job with flexible hours to fit my lifestyle
- I can pay my bills each month and still save some money for nice things
- I own a house with my partner which we renovated
- I’m a cat mum to the cutest fur baby and he’s so happy in his forever home
- I have an amazing family that support me
- I have my blog which is something I created
- I make handmade cards and sell them to family and friends
- I can drive and I own a car which gives me independance
I’m sure you get the jist of what I’m trying to say. A high flying career isn’t for everyone and it’s ok to not want one. I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing it is to leave the office at 5 o’clock and not have to go home stressing over work. Instead, I leave my work at work and go home and enjoy my spare time doing what I want to do. If you don’t have a high flying career you’re still a successful person. And if you do have a high flying career and it’s what you want then that’s also amazing.
Hope you enjoyed.