Motivation and Goals

Building a life I love

I worked for 3 and a half years in a job that destroyed me. It was awful. My anxiety was through the roof, my mental health took a huge hit and my confidence plummeted below the ground. This job really put life into perspective for me. Time is precious and I want to enjoy my time and not let a job ruin everything for me. Honestly, I’m glad I had that job because without it I don’t think I would appreciate my life as much as I do now. I stepped away from this job just over a year ago now and I’m still loving my new job (which isn’t that new anymore haha).

The podcast that really made me think

My current job is all administration tasks so we’re allowed to listen to music/ podcasts whilst we work which I love. I discovered a podcast a few months back called ‘Don’t Keep Your Day Job’ by a wonderful lady named Cathy Heller and this was the thing that really got me thinking about life. I felt like I had been on a rollercoaster with my previous job and suddenly I found myself in this calm and peaceful place where my life was suddenly stress-free and it was amazing. Cathy is so refreshing to listen to. The podcast is all about building a life you love, finding your purpose in life and building joy into your everyday life. Listening to this podcast made me realise that all I wanted to do was build a life that I love. Of course, I would love to just start my own business, do my own thing every day and be my own boss… but the reality is that I have bills to pay so that isn’t really realistic straight away. With that being said dreams don’t become a reality unless you work towards them, even if that is just taking small steps at first. Here’s what I’ve been doing to start building a life that I love….

Changed my hours at work

I’ve changed my hours at work. I still work full time (37.5 hours a week) as I need the money, but I work it over 4 longer days rather than 5 days. This gives me an extra day off in the week to focus on myself and what I want to be doing.

Appreciate my weekends

When I hated my job I used to just mope around at weekends as I had no energy to do anything. I really appreciate my weekends now. I love going out with Shaun for walks at the beach, or we’ll head to the cinema or maybe get dinner out. It’s just nice to spend time together and do nice things.

Spend more time doing what I enjoy

This morning I baked some cookies because I love baking. Yesterday I sat and watched Line of Duty on Netflix whilst eating a Cadbury’s chocolate yoghurt because sometimes it’s nice to relax. I’m really just trying to focus on doing things that bring me joy and spending less time doing things that don’t bring me joy.

Travel

I’ve just returned from a 2-week holiday to Disney World. It was amazing… but then a week after returning we were feeling tired from how busy the holiday was and felt like some time to relax would be nice so we’ve booked a trip to Majorca for September. We don’t have children yet and find ourselves in a financial situation where we can pay the bills and still save some money each month. We figured we may as well enjoy ourselves whilst we can afford to and go to places we want to.

It’s amazing how life can change so much. When I worked my job I hated I felt trapped and as if I would never be happy. Fast forward one year and I’m probably the happiest I’ve ever been. If you’re in a bad place right now please know that it does get better even if it doesn’t feel like that now. And I really urge you to listen to Don’t Keep Your Day Job; it’s honestly such a breath of fresh air that we probably all need!

Thanks for reading!

You may also like

• Lozza

This is amazing!

I love that you’re in such a happier place now! 😊
    Podcasts can make all the difference and it’s shocking how much a job can destroy you but well done for getting out of that situation!

Love Lozza xo

June 23, 2019 at 9:09 AM Reply

June 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM Reply
  • Madi Dearson

I can relate sooooo much to what you wrote. I had that job – the one that made me so miserable it impacted my physical well being. The day I walked in and gave my notice effective immediately- was one of the best I had. It takes time to really internalize the fact that we get one chance at this life so we better try and live it the best way we can. So glad you are having a much better time now. And by the way – I also just got back from a two weeks vacation (with kids) and we feel exhausted too – which is why we booked a vacation just for us for September:) great minds…

June 23, 2019 at 9:28 AM Reply

Well done you for handing in your notice with immediate effect! It takes a lot of guts to do that. I hope you have a relaxing vacation in September! Xx

June 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM Reply
  • Esske

I’ve had a new role at my company this year which I love so much more. t’s crazy how much a different job that suits you better can change your whole mindset. I don’t dread getting up every day any more, and especially since being done with uni, I’ve had my own time to myself to just enjoy however I want. And now I’m taking the plunge and moving overseas for a new job because while I love my life now, I want to try everything that’s out there so I can have no regrets! I’m relying less on other peoples measures of success and setting my own.

June 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM Reply

Wow this sounds amazing, I hope you have the best time moving overseas 💕

June 23, 2019 at 4:13 PM Reply
  • Susan Nies

Life is short! Never do anything that makes you that miserable!!!

June 23, 2019 at 12:50 PM Reply

I completely agree! Xx

June 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM Reply
  • Kristin Harris/Tales From Home

I know so many people who feel trapped in jobs they hate and it really does affect every aspect of their lives. It’s always nice to hear of someone who manages to escape the endless cycle!

June 23, 2019 at 2:26 PM Reply

Yeah I know many people like it and it makes me sad because I know how awful it is xx

June 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM Reply
  • Dan Udale

Really enjoyed reading this, it’s amazing how much time we have to change our lives and live a life of fulfilment and enjoyment. So glad that you are in a better place and even happier because it was Podcast 🙂

June 23, 2019 at 8:16 PM Reply
  • Bexa

This is such a positive uplifting post! I am so happy you are in a better place now, Charlotte. It sounds like changing your job made a huge difference to your life and well-being. It’s great your role is so much calmer and allows you to have extra time for yourself too. The little things can bring so much joy, I love Netflix evenings and walks along the beach too. Will defo have to listen to the podcast at some point, it sounds so inspirational, thanks for the recommendation and lovely post! <3 xx

June 24, 2019 at 12:45 PM Reply
  • Lauren

Such a positive post! It’s great you have worked out what was holding you back and causing negativity in your life! Its great you are happier and taking steps to make you happy. I can’t wait to get a new job

June 25, 2019 at 10:26 AM Reply