INSTAGRAM TWITTER PINTEREST
INSTAGRAM TWITTER PINTEREST

5 ways to stay creative

January 30, 2018

Ways to stay creative

I’ve always been creative, it’s a part of me that I’m really proud of and it brings me so much joy. As a child I remember I used to collect leaves and create collages. I’d also use my stain glass pens to decorate old jam jars. Did anyone else use to make pompoms as a child? I was forever doing that!

Being creative has always been a huge part of my life. During high school I opted to do Graphic Design as a GCSE, I then went on to college and did A-Level Graphics and Photography. I also did a 3rd year at college where I did an Art Foundation in Graphics before heading off to university to do a Graphic Arts Degree. I’m sure you get the picture, I LOVE being creative.

Over the years I found different ways to stay creative and find inspiration and I thought I would share this with you today.

My top 5 ways to stay creative

1 – Creative books – I find flicking through creative books a real inspiration. I still have a lot of books from when I did my Degree. Branding books, handmade type and craft books are some of my favourites to look through.

2 – Take a notepad everywhere with you – I’ve done this for years and years. I’ll suddenly be out and come up with a good idea for a blog post and it’s so much easier if you can jot it down on paper so you don’t forget. Also, I find sometimes when I’m out and about I’ll see something that gives me an idea and I’ll write it straight down.

3 – Look at creative websites – Let’s be honest I think we all love Pinterest … But there are other great websites out there as well for creativity. Some of my favourites are Behance and Dribble. I love looking through other peoples designs to give me inspiration. I used sites like this a lot when I was doing my degree and they’re so helpful.

4 – Adult colouring books – I LOVE adult colouring books, I find them really relaxing but they’re also great for keeping me doing creative things. They’re something that you can use in the evening for 20 minutes, it doesn’t have to be time-consuming as we’re all busy people!

5 – Surround yourself with creative people – I love the fact that my Twitter is constantly filled with creativity. I follow a lot of other bloggers and I find it really helpful having that creative network around me. It’s so helpful seeing what other creatives are up to and it’s a great way for inspiration.

What are your tips for staying creative?

20 responses to “5 ways to stay creative”

1. Michelle says:

I bought my best friend an adult coloring book for her stress and it really helped her become more and more inspired. I may need to get one for myself.

Great post! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

2. Sophie says:

I love Pinterest and haven’t heard of these other websites so I’ll defintitley check them out! Thanks for sharing- https://sophiehearts.net x

3. Sophie says:

My sister keeps recommending adult colouring to me, must try it! 🙂 fab blog hun!

4. These are great tips! It’s so important to stay creative and inspired, especially as a blogger. I never got into adult colouring books but I have one at home which is the Enchanted Forest one which I’m hoping to start soon. I think the one I started with was too small and I didn’t enjoy it at all but this one is huge and the illustrations are gorgeous.

5. Bexa says:

Fantastic ideas Charlotte 💖. I’ve never heard of those websites, I’m definitely gonna check them out. All I use is Pinterest for inspiration at the moment. Adult colouring books are so therapeutic and relaxing! Great post! xx

6. Faisal says:

Love this post and you have some great tips. Never heard of beehive or dribble so may have to check them out!

7. I love the adult colouring books – they are so relaxing! I have a notepad on me now when I go to work too, as I’m at a desk on a computer so I quickly grab that and make a note of different nail designs I think of, haha.

Amy,

8. I absolutely love this blog post babe, some really great tips! Thank you for sharing 🌸💜✨

With love, Alisha Valerie x
    http://www.alishavalerie.com | http://www.twitter.com/alishavalerie

9. Great tips!
    I always have a notebook with me. My phone KEEP app is good in a pinch.

10. Sophie says:

I get so inspired when I’m around creative people! I love the energy they usually have around them. Love getting lost searching through Pinterest too, lovely ideas here x

Sophie