I love cake and I love strawberries and cream in the summer – So the perfect combination is a strawberries and cream cake! It’s lovely and light and perfect for the summer months. Here’s how you can make one too:
For the sponge:
- 8oz Margarine (not butter)
- 8oz Caster sugar
- 8oz Self raising flour
- 4 Eggs
For the butter cream:
- 4oz Icing sugar
- 2oz Butter
For the fresh cream:
- 300ml Whipping cream
- 2 Teaspoons of Sugar
Plus a large punnet of strawberries for decorating.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190 degrees)
- Grease two 8″ round baking tins (I also put a round piece of grease proof paper in the bottom as my tins don’t push up)
- Cream together the sugar and margarine in a large bowl (I always sieve the sugar to get rid of any lumps)
- Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix together until you get a smooth mixture
- Sieve in the self raising flour and continue to mix until completely smooth
- Separate the mixture into your two baking tins making sure to evenly spread the mixture in the tin
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes (always put a knife into the cake after 30 minutes to check its properly cooked)
- Remove from the tins and leave to cool
- In a bowl mix together the butter and icing sugar to make the butter cream – WARNING – this will make a massive mess!
- Evenly spread the butter cream over one of the cakes.
- Slice the strawberries and place over the top of the butter cream.
- Put the other half of the cake on top to create a sandwich affect
- In a bowl mix together the whipping cream and 2 tea spoons of sugar (I’d recommend using an electric whisk else you’ll be there all day) – The cream will start off runny and you need to keep mixing it until its thick enough to spread over the cake without it running everywhere.
- Spread the cream over the top of the cake and add strawberries to decorate.
And hey presto you have yourself a delicious strawberries and cream cake! Make sure you keep it in the fridge as it has fresh cream on the top of it.
‘See ya real soon!