Card making techniques

I’ve been card making for a few years now but I’ve rarely tried out different techniques. I’ve always loved my die cut machine and using stamps but other than that I haven’t tried much. I decided that I needed to start experimenting with new techniques so I did lots of research and watched some YouTube videos to decide where to take my card making next.

After many hours of YouTube, I decided that I wanted to try using stamps with watercolours, creating distress ink backgrounds and I wanted to give heat embossing a go.

The first thing I experimented with was using distress inks to create watercolour backgrounds and I love how it turned out.

I used watercolour paper and a mini ink blending tool to create the watercolour effect background with the distress inks that you can see above. I love the vibrancy of the colours; especially the pink and orange!

Next up I tried using stamps and colouring them with watercolour paint. This is something I’ve never tried before and found it a little tricky at first but I got the hang of it eventually. This cute little guy below was done with watercolours. I used a palette of watercolour paints and then used an aqua water brush pen to apply the colour. I really enjoyed using watercolour as it makes it easier for shading as well as blending colours.

The last technique I tried was using stamps with a versamark watermark stamp and then applying embossing powder on top. The watermark stamp is clear in colour and then the powder sticks over the top. I then used my Dovecraft heat tool to emboss the powder. I used a silver colour and you can see in the image below how shiny the powder went after the heat was applied!

I’ve really enjoyed experimenting with some new techniques and I’m excited to continue practising and making more cards!

**This post contains affiliate links**

Hope you enjoyed!

1. August 7, 2018 / 10:28 AM

I really like the effect of the watercolour! It looks really nice and professional as if you could have bought them in a shop! I used to make a lot of cards myself to send them to my friends abroad and it would be nice to try something out like this for once. Thank you for sharing!

August 7, 2018 / 7:39 PM

Thank you so much! Xx

2. August 12, 2018 / 9:14 AM

These are really lovely I love the effect of the blending tool.

August 12, 2018 / 9:28 AM

3. August 12, 2018 / 9:22 AM

I love these cards Charlotte! The colours are so pretty and the stamps are super cute! You could sell these! The watercolour background is really effective. I find using watercolour paints quite tricky and I’ve never had much luck with it. You have done a fantastic job and this has inspired me to get my paints out again and give it another try! Thank you for sharing, I always love reading your posts 💖 xx

August 12, 2018 / 9:28 AM

Thank you, I am actually considering opening an Etsy shop to sell them … I just need to bulk make a load of cards first. Yeah, watercolours are really difficult to get the hang of. I’m still learning a lot as I’ve never used them before so a lot of cards ended up in the bin haha. xx

4. August 12, 2018 / 9:36 AM

Aw these are all gorgeous, I love making my own cards and feel like it shows so much more thought and effort! The last with the little elephant is definitely my favourite but they’re all super sweet!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

August 12, 2018 / 10:36 AM

Thank you. I love how much more personal it is to make and send your own card. xx

August 12, 2018 / 10:36 AM

5. August 12, 2018 / 11:07 AM

These are the cutest things EVER! I’m such a sucker for a cute card, and I think I would straight-up cry if someone made me one! I really the pink watercolour one, it’s so pretty 😍

August 15, 2018 / 7:46 PM

6. August 12, 2018 / 3:35 PM

Oh my gosh these are soo cute I would totally buy them! The watercolour effect is super cool and I’m really excited to see what other creations you make as I can’t say I’ve seen much like this around before, you should definitely consider setting up your own little shop!!
    Alice Xx

August 15, 2018 / 7:46 PM

Thank you so much! Yep hopefully I’ll be setting up a shop by the end of the year 🙈 xx

7. August 12, 2018 / 5:35 PM

These look so fun! Love the last one especially!

August 15, 2018 / 7:46 PM

8. August 12, 2018 / 10:45 PM

Your cards are so professional looking. I love how you used the distress inks to create watercolour backgrounds. I did not realize you need an ink blending tool for this too. I do not make cards but I am aware of the die cut machine.

August 15, 2018 / 7:47 PM

Thank you, that means so much 🙈 you don’t have to use an ink blending tool but I just find it super easy with one 😃

9. August 15, 2018 / 7:40 PM

These are adorable and the colours really make them stand out. I’m such a sucker for anything colourful.

Vicki | http://www.missviclb.co.uk